A note from Preston: GDB is more than 3 years old this year and in 2012, we’ve had a great first half of the year!
Why so great?
Because so many of you have joined us!
My analytics show that more than 150,000 of you have visited the site for the first time in 2012.
So I asked April to compile a list of what she thought were the most helpful blog posts on this entire site.
She rounded up 50 of them and I couldn’t be more excited to deliver to you “50 of the best GDB posts you may have missed”.
PS: I’ve bolded my favorite articles in each category so if you’re short on time, start with those!
Now, over to April…
* * *
Today I want to thank all of our readers for your input and discussion that makes GDB so great. Without your questions, comments, and interest in becoming better, more productive, and more profitable entrepreneurs, GDB wouldn’t exist.
I’ve compiled a list of 50 of the best GDB posts and organized them by topic below.
Unless you are a true GDB know-it-all and you’ve been subscribed since day one, I assure you there are a whole bunch of amazing posts listed here that you haven’t read.
Pick a topic and improve one aspect of your business, or pick up tips over a broad spectrum.
And don’t forget to leave a comment on this post telling us which post (or topic) is your favorite and why.
We’d also love to know how long you’ve been reading GDB…tell us in the comments.
(And don’t forget to subscribe to all the new posts we have coming up for 2012 and beyond!)
- 13 must-read blogging resources for designers
- 58 Topics to write about on your design blog
- Basic web design principles that will make or break any site
- The best blogging advice I ever received and how it transformed my blog
- Four simple steps to get your design blog off the ground
- Designers, stop and think about why you’re blogging
- How to run a successful design blog without sinking your design business
- Is your design blog hurting your design business?
- The simple change that brought my design blog to life
- Three simple secrets to keep your readers coming back
- 26 details designers should know about clients before starting a project together
- Are Your Communication Skills Scaring Away Your Design Clients?
- How designers can charge more without having an awkward client conversation
- How to communicate with intimidating design clients (without going nuts)
- How to handle hard-to-reach design clients
- Life-saving customer service tips for freelance designers
- My design client “hates” my first proof. Now what?
- Minimize client revisions by pitching your proof like this:
- Presenting design work to your clients
- When a new client calls you, don’t freak out. Do this:
Contracts & Finances
- Do designers deserve down-payments?
- How many design revisions do your clients get?
- How some clients rip off designers – and how you can avoid it
- How to quote a design project – and win the account
- Make this very important change to your design contract today!
- Offering price quotes to no-budget design clients
- Set milestones and eliminate stress in the design process
- Should repeat design clients have to sign a contract?
Finding New Clients
- 3 Simple Tips to Keep Your Client Pool Full
- 5 Things a Design Agency Looks for when Hiring Freelancers
- 11 ways to grow your design business in less than an hour
- Can you pitch your design business (well) in 15 seconds?
- Does anyone know your design business exists?
- How I got tons of new design clients with this small freebie
- How to be a top-notch salesman, grow your design business, and still be likeable
- How to find design clients How to get design clients to come to you, instead of chasing them down
- How to turn one-time clients into core fans of your design business
- 25 ways designers can make money without dealing with design clients
- An $11,000+ boost with small “tweaks” to your design business
- Designers: conquer the budget beast once and for all!
- Entrepreneurs: follow this one simple principle to avoid wasting your hard-earned profit
- Equipment for your freelance business: Buy or Get By?
- Freelancing is tough. Are you ready for it?
- How to upsell your next design project
- My secret to making steady money as a freelance designer
- The secret to saving an underpriced design project (and avoiding it next time)
- Stop throwing your design profits down the toilet
Starting Your Business
- 10 Tips for Starting Your Own Design Business
- 40 Tips for brand-new freelance designers
- Essential Pointers for Naming your Design Business
- From Passion to Profit: 11 Days to Build Your Design Business – ebook
- Graphic Design: Hobby or Career?
- Help me name my design business! + tips on naming yours
- How to keep your first design gig from spiraling out of control
- Sole proprietor vs Corporations: Determine your freelance design business structure
- What should you get paid on your first freelance project?
- What’s really keeping you from freelancing?
Dedicate at least an hour a week to improving your business prowess. These posts are just the tip of the iceberg – Graphic Design Blender is bursting at the seams with wonderful advice from a variety of expert freelance designers.