Managing a freelance design business takes a lot of work. A freelance designer has to manage their projects, their clients, their files, and many more.
It’s a lot to do for one person. There are many ways you can manage your freelance design business, such as hiring a virtual assistant or investing in expensive software, but as freelancers, we are on a limited to budget.
Luckily, there are many free tools you can use today to manage your business. Take a look at these free tools below and become a more organized freelancer.
- Collabtive is a modern Web application that allows teams to collaborate on projects, manage tasks, milestones, and files, and send instant messages to each other.
- Retrospectiva is a powerful open-source project management tool, designed towards agile software development teams. It features a solid core with ticket system, code review and milestones, but it also has powerful add-ons like wiki, blog or agile project management.
- Teambox is developed as an open source application and it benefits from a simple and clean user interface similar to Twitter. It supports multiple projects, statuses, document attachments.
To Do Lists
- Ta-da Lists is the web’s easiest to-do list tool. Make lists for yourself or share them with others. It couldn’t be simpler.
- Doomi is a desktop application run by Adobe Air to simplify your tasks and get them done. You can create tasks, trash them after their done, and set alarms for them.
- Remember the Milk is a more feature packed task management solution. It allows you to organize your tasks into tabs and tags, make time specific tasks with automatic reminders and repeat intervals, and it even has collaborative features.
- Toodledo allows you to organize your tasks into different folders or projects, assign due-dates and priorities, and attach notes to tasks.
- Billing Boss is a totally free invoicing application with pretty features. The user can easily keep track of billings and payments.
- Intuit Billing Manager is also a free and intuitive online invoicing application. You can easily create and send invoices. The application gives you a review of what is overdue and what has been paid. The user can send reminders to customers if there is an outstanding payment.
- BambooInvoice is a free and open source application to send and manage professional invoices. One has to install it on its own servers before using it though.
- Simple invoices is another free and open source invoicing system which you can use to get money from different clients. You have to install in on your own server to use. You can also email your prepared invoice as pdf.
- Dropbox is a service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. The free plan lets you store up to 2GB.
- YouSendIt puts an end to that trouble by sending files up to 2GB to your clients.
- Flickr is a place where you can store, share, and organize photos and save space on your hard drive.
- DivShare is a file hosting service that you can use to email files to clients or store them in a folder for shared access later.
What about you?
Do you have any free tools you would like to share? Have you used any of these before? If so, discuss in the comments section of this post.