There are lots of questions to be asked when preparing to design a logo. I do NOT suggest you ask a client all of these questions, but hope that this list will help you think of a few useful questions you’ve never considered before. I have broken them up into 5 categories: company/organization questions, branding questions, design preferences, target audience, budgets & proofing.
- What is your company/organization/product name?
- What sets your company apart from others?
- What services or products does your company provide?
- Why should I choose your company over your competitors?
- How long has your company been in business?
- How big is your company? (this may be answered in number of employees or revenue)
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of your company?
- Where do you see your company in 5 years? 10 years? 50 years?
- Who is your main competitor?
- Why was your company founded?
- What motivated you to start this business/organization?
- If you had to describe your company/organization in one word, what would it be? why?
- If your customers had to describe your company/organization in one word, what would it be? why?
- Do you have a current logo?
- (If yes to above) What elements from your previous logo would you like to retain?
- What is the reason for modifying or redesigning your logo? (read more on this question)
- How old is your current logo?
- What is the positioning or mission statement of your company?
- Does your company have a tagline or sloagan that should be included with the logo?
- What do you hope your company can be known for?
- What do your customers recognize first when they see your logo?
- Why does your company use the colors, fonts, etc. that is does?
- What color palettes might you prefer? why?
- Where will the logo be primarily used?
- Are there any elements you would prefer to see in the logo?
- In your opinion, what defines a well-designed logo?
- What is your preference in reference to icons, typography, spokepeople (characters), etc.?
- What restrictions, if any, might there be on the logo?
- What words or icons must be included in the logo?
- What logos do you like and why?
- What logos do you dislike and why?
- In your opinion, what is the primary purpose for a logo?
- What are the likely occasions in which this logo will be used? (read more on this question)
- Who is the primary target audience? (who is most likely to use your services/product?)
- Who currently uses your product the most?
- Are you please with the range of people your company serves?
- Are you looking to expand, modify, or completely change your target audience? or will it remain the same?
- How do you plan to focus on your target audience?
- What are your main forms of advertising?
- How do most customers find out about your company?
- Which gender are you targeting?
- Where do most of your customers live?
- What is the average income level of your target audience?
Budget and timing
- How much money do you plan to dedicate to this logo design?
- How many revisions do you plan on making? (You should try to limit this!)
- How many initial concepts would you prefer to see?
- What sort of deadline are you working with on this logo?
- Do you foresee any needed modifications in the near future?
- What is the primary reason you chose [your company] to do your logo work?
- Which is most important for you: quality, speed, or cost? (read more on this question)
- Are there any special events or promotions on which the completion of this design depends?
- Will you be needing any other services in addition to this logo design? (read more on this question)
BONUS: Extras (questions that bring in a little more money)
- Are there any other design pieces with which I can help you?
- Would you like help/consultation in defining your target audience or anything else I have asked you about?
- Do you know anyone else who is also looking for a fresh logo design?
What other questions have you found useful when preparing to design a logo? Please share.